Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Bug

Unknown Bug
Unknown Bug  
Hi Mr. Saugstad,
I found this bug crawling on my couch. I couldn't find a good representative of it in any ontario field guide that was online. I am in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Any insights that you would have as to what it is would be greatly appreciated....especially in terms of whether or not it might bite humans.

Dear Gary - This is a female oak timberworm, Arrhenodes minutus (Coleoptera: Brentidae). It poses a danger only to oak and other hardwood trees that already are dead or dying; see http://tinyurl.com/mg57nkd for detailed information on its life history.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.