Entomology (Study of Bugs)/wasp or bee?

Question
flying wasp?
flying wasp?  
This "wasp" is almost 2 inches long and has been perching on the same leaf on the same branch of an azalea bush daily for the past 6 days.    He disappears at night, but seems to be guarding something, as if you approach, he flies around the area...but not especially aggressive.  Solitary.   wings are always out, not tucked, when perched.   

Do you know what he is?

Answer
Hi Carla
This is a solitary wasp. It is a female Cicada Killer  in search of prey. They are not aggressive. Have you had some cicadas hatch there lately. Once she capture he prey she will bury it in the ground with an egg. The larva will feed on it and later emerge

walter

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz