Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Yellow and black flying insect

Question
I found an insect approx 5.5 cm in size that was flying around my bee balm in eastern pa. It had large antenna, large yellow patch covering half of its back, then a black strip across its mid section then a yellow strip again then it almost looked like it had tail feathers. It moved realitivly slowly through the flowers until a breeze came along and blew it away. It had long legs. I thought it was a small hummingbird at first when I looked at the tail until I saw the antenna. It was seen at approx 1000 in the morning. Can you identify it by this description? It is beautiful.

Answer
Ann:

You are describing a type of sphinx moth in the genus Hemaris .  There are several species, so I'll direct you to this link to start with:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2637

They are supposed to mimic bumble bees, but they do hover like hummingbirds.  The "lobster tail" is a giveaway that they are sphinx moths in this genus.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton