Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Acanalonia conica or A. servillei ? or other?

Acanalonia sp pic 1
Acanalonia sp pic 1  

Acanalonia sp pic 2
Acanalonia sp pic 2  
Hello again Eric,

* Photos taken 19aug2014 ~ 10:00PM
* DuPage County, IL

I believe I have the genus correct.  Hoping for help identifying to species. What are the diagnostics please? (pointy nose?)

Best regards, TB

ps: Great job on the FG to Insects of NA. I use it and recommend it everywhere I go!

I am not an expert on this particular group; and I would refer you to given your advanced knowledge. is where I answer questions from the general, petrified public who have very limited knowledge.
Here's the page for the one species....
Here's the page for the other

I have to let you have *some* fun on your own :-)

Seriously, you are welcome to use my AllExperts services for the odd query now and then, but you are truly doing well on your own, especially considering how similar many species are to each other.

You might also consider following my "Bug Eric" blog, where I give more detail on selected species.

Keep up your own great work.  I hope we eventually meet in person, and I'll sign your copy of the field guide for you :-)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.