Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Ammophila aberti??

Wap photo #2
Wap photo #2  
This wasp was in Morongo Valley Ca today(8/6/14) at about 7pm when I happened upon it. I was very curious what type it was and thought maybe a Ammophila aberti due to the coloring but the thorax seemed much larger. I was hoping you might be able to help me identify this beautiful wasp.

Thank you!!

Oooh, nice find and great pictures!

This is Prionyx foxi , a species uncharacteristic of the genus Prionyx :

The females hunt grasshoppers as food for their offspring, burying a paralyzed 'hopper in an underground burrow the wasp digs ahead of time.

I wonder if you might be willing to share your images with me, as I might want to do a blog post about this wasp.  If so, simply e-mail the files to me at:  bugeric24ATyahooDOTcom, and please include your full name for proper credit.  I'm also happy to link to your own blog or website.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.