Entomology (Study of Bugs)/beetles

Question
beetle backside
beetle backside  

beetle bellyside
beetle bellyside  
I have found two of these beetles near my house.  The first one was dying on the front porch and the second was dead on the back patio. Found both within about six weeks of each other. I found one of your Q&A's from 2009 identifying it as a woodboring beetle found in dead/dying pine or Conifers. (I live in Oregon and have never seen these before) . Do I need to worry about an infestation in my home? I do not believe the are originating from my yard.

Answer
Tammy:

Thank you for including the images with your question, but the question says it is from Colorado, and now you state you live in Oregon, so I wonder where exactly you found the specimens.

This is a female "Ponderous Borer," Trichocnemis spiculatus , a member of the longhorned beetle family Cerambycidae:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/74268

The species is found in both Oregon and Colorado.  I'm jealous because I lived in Oregon for the first 27 years of my life and never once saw one of these giants.  I've been in Colorado for the last three years, and still not seen one here, either. :-(

This is NOT a pest species.  It will not bore into your home, or kill any trees.  The beetles only attack dead, dying, or severely-weakened trees.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton