Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Burrowing Bee

Last week my husband and I noticed a 5 inch mound of sand with a hole approx. 1 1/2 inches wide at its base in our yard. We thought some type of small rodent, however we woke up to another mound this morning and witnessed a large (approx 2 inches) orange brownish wasp type bee exit the hole. I live in the North Western section of Connecticut. I garden to attract bees and butterflies and have never seen anything like this. Sorry wasn't able to get picture but will try. Would apreciate any help. Thank you , Sue

Hi Sue
This is the Cicada Killer wasp, one of the more interesting creatures in Nature. The wasp is a female and a solitary wasp. She digs holes in the ground and then searches for large insects, mostly cicadas . She stings it and then buries it in the ground with an egg. When the egg hatches it feeds on the insect and later emerges as an adult to complete the life cycle. I will bet you had some cicadas hatch there recently.
 When the cicadas are to large for her she cannot take off with them so she drags them up a tree and drops off.
 These wasps are not aggressive and as long as you do not bother them they will not bother you.
So leave her alone. She is one of the good guys

Cicada killers appear in cycles along with the cicadas so you would see a lot of them when cicadas emerge. You only see the females

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ