Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Cocoon/nest on side of house

Question
Bug nest?
Bug nest?  
My colleague sent me this picture and would like to know what insect might have made it and if it is a nest, egg sack, or cocoon?    It started out pink and then turned brown.

Thanks for your help.

- Peter

Answer
Peter:

I am quite sure this is not an object of insect origin.  I'm not even sure that it is organic, though it might be a fungus, a slime mold, or other such organism.  It could be something oozing from the crack, like a sealant or foam insulation, or other material used in construction.

Thank you for reminding me that I should develop a library of things like this that are frequently mistaken for insect nests or cocoons.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton