Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identify a flying bug

I live in Missouri and found a dead bug in my hallway about a month or two ago that I'm guessing my cat might have brought in (she does this sort of thing). It is about 2 inches across with the wings spread out. The wings are a bright green color, almost neon like. It's body is about an inch long and reminds me of a moth in shape and is a medium to light brown in color. It has round black eyes, almost bulging in appearance. It's two antennae were about 1/2 inches long and rounded downward and looked like fern leaves. I've never seen anything like this at all. Any idea what it might be? It was actually quite beautiful. --- Thanks.

Dear Retta - It likely was a male moth (males have more feathery antennae than females) of some kind, but I really would need to see an image to say much more. Should you encounter another example, please try to get a picture that you could post.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.