Entomology (Study of Bugs)/larve found on bed??

I saw a post you answered about a larvae that was found on a bed back in January of last year. You said you think it might have been carpet beetle larvae. I have found the same thing in my sons bed and the pic I look at online of carpet beetle larvae doesn't look the same. What I have found isn't hairy looking at all. Do you have any Idea what it could be. My whole family has been getting bit up and I cant seem to find any bed bugs in which I have been told it is.

I'm sorry, but without seeing at least a clear image of the creature in question, there is no way I can make a responsible assessment.  *Adult* insects are hard enough to identify, but larvae are virtually impossible without some kind of visual aid.

Few larvae bite, though.  Carpet beetle larvae can sometimes cause contact dermatitis because their hairs can cause irritation and/or allergic reactions.

Bites may not be bites at all, because symptoms of other illnesses or environmental agents can mimic insect bites.  That said, I would inspect for bed bugs just to exclude the possibility of insects as a cause.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but thank you for understanding the limitations of the internet when it comes to addressing such questions.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.