Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Lygaeus turcicus

Question
I live in Maine and have recently started growing sunflowers. I've found lots of these bugs on them. I can't find much of anything for info online about whether or not they are "bad" or "good" bugs. I've been just knocking them off. Could you tell me if I need to worry about them destroying my sunflowers or not and if so how I might get rid of them please?
Thank you in advance for any help!!

Answer
Marie:

If you meant to attach an image, it failed to upload....

We underestimate the resilience of plants in the face of insect damage for starters.  Second, sunflowers attract many interesting insects because they have "extra-floral nectaries," meaning that they exude sweet substances from their foliage and stems.  Many wasps, flies, bees, beetles, and other insects are attracted by that.

Sunflowers are also popular places for predatory insects like ambush bugs to hang out.

If you are not seeing heavy damage to leaves, flowers, or stems, then I would not worry.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton