Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery bathroom invader

Question
Bug
Bug  
Hi there! I live in Des Moines, Iowa. Recently I've been noticing these little tiny, almost reddish colored bugs. Mainly in the bathroom near the sink, but I found a few crawling on the walls as well. They are very tiny, with small antenna. We had an invasion of springtails earlier this summer, but they look much different than these. I attached a photo, so hopefully that helps. I'm paranoid about creepy crawlies! And my google searches are coming up empty. Any idea what these are? Thanks in advance!!

Answer
Hi, Claire:

The picture is not terribly detailed, but it looks to be some kind of beetle, of which there are many potential household suspects.  All are collectively known as "stored product pests" because they can infest everything from flour to medicines.

You may want to browse this website to see if you can find a match:

http://spiru.cgahr.ksu.edu/db/insect/search_results.asp

Meanwhile, do look in the medicine cabinet, pantry, dry pet food, birdseed, etc, and see if you can find the source of the infestation.  Dispose of any infested products.  Store all vulnerable foodstuffs (including dry pet food) in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids to prevent future problems.

There is little you can do if the product is already infested when you make the purchase, but I would report such instances to the grocery store and manufacturer so you get a refund and they know that they have a problem in their processing line.

Lastly, as far as I know, no stored product beetle pest is a threat to your health or the health of pets....BUT, in some instances they can be an indicator of mold or fungi, and those organisms CAN be very dangerous.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton