Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery bug in Mississippi

Mystery bug
Mystery bug  

I found this fella on my car. Seems it hit my car on the interstate this morning on my way to work. I asked around but no one could id it. it has wings; thats the shine behind its back. Thank you for taking the time to read this and view the pic.

Hi, Jessica:

Thanks for including the nice, clear picture with your question.

That is an adult "Milkweed Assassin Bug," Zelus longipes .  Here's more about it:

They are not pests, but not necessarily totally beneficial since they prey on a wide variety of insects.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.