Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Need help identifying tiny black bugs

Question
Black bug
Black bug  
These very tiny black bugs have started showing up in my condo over the last week & I can't tell what they are. I usually see them at night when I'm lying in bed and they are just crawling on the sheet. Also sometimes I see them in the kitchen on the wall. They do fly sometimes but I usually just see them crawling. I have a few bites on one of my legs but they don't itch or anything. They are just tiny red dots. The bugs are so tiny they are probably like only a centimeter long. I live in Ohio. Thanks for any help you can give me in identifying these.

Answer
Hi, Shaina:

Thank you for including the clear image with your question.  I know how small these beetles are and that is a remarkable image considering that.

You have either "Drugstore Beetles" or "Cigarette Beetles," both in the family Anobiidae (recently re-classified as Ptinidae).  They are considered "stored product pests" of non-perishable foods and other substances in the pantry.  Here's more:

http://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/household/food-fabric/ent-2004/

http://ccesuffolk.org/assets/Horticulture-Leaflets/Cigarette-and-Drugstore-Beetl

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cigarette_drugstore_beetle.html

Note that chemical treatment is seldom effective in eradicating these beetles; nor is it advisable to use toxins in the kitchen where there is risk of contaminating food.  Be sure to check on dry pet food as a possible source of the infestation, along with human food.

As far as I know, the beetles themselves, and their larvae, pose no threat to human health, though they could set the stage for mold or fungal infections that *are* potentially dangerous to people.  So, it is highly recommended to throw out any infested items.

Store all vulnerable foods in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids. Even plastic does not always deter a determined beetle, but cardboard, cellophane, and other flimsy containers offer *no* resistance.

Best wishes for a successful resolution!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton