Entomology (Study of Bugs)/snakes

I did not see a catagory for snakes but I thought you might be able to help. I live in Eastern PA. I found in my garden, while digging up rocks, a small, slender ( head and body), black snake with a yellow band around its neck and a yellow underbelly, approx 14 inches long. A little aggressive for so small a creature, it was beautiful. Can you identify it or direct me to someone who can?

Hello Ann,

I am sorry, I don't know anything about snakes. I did find this blog, though, about a snake that fits your description. Again, I don't know snakes, so you will need to find someone else if you want to get an identification:

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior