Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spittlebug life cycle

Question
I have some questions about spittlebugs. Does the foam serve to conceal both adults and nymphs, or does it vary among species? And is there any evidence that the foam itself is bitter to potential predators?

Answer
Ann:

Good questions!  Only the nymphs live in the "spittle," the adults living freely and capable of flying to escape potential predators.

I think the other purpose of the foam is to prevent the nymphs from dessicating (drying out).  Whether the foam is bitter or not I don't know, but it is probably repulsive simply in texture and consistency.  Would *you* want to bury your face in soap suds while trying to get a tiny snack inside the suds? :-)

You might try "Google Scholar" and see what turns up for spittlebugs (family Cercopidae).

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton