Entomology (Study of Bugs)/what is this

mystery bug
mystery bug  
I apologize for the picture quality but I'm hoping it will be enough for you to make an educated guess. This bug was located in southern New Jersey near the Pine Barrens. Please note that the mystery bug has been squished a little.

Hi, Jill:

Wow, I actually *can't* make a concrete identification from the image.  Is it missing its head?  What size are we talking about?  Did it run?  Fly?  Hop?  Was it on a tree trunk, in the grass?  Any additional details would be much appreciated.  I am leaning toward some kind of moth, or perhaps a caddisfly, but I really can't be certain.  I do know the insect is upside down in the image, so that increases the difficulty, too.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.