Entomology (Study of Bugs)/what is this

Question
mystery bug
mystery bug  
I apologize for the picture quality but I'm hoping it will be enough for you to make an educated guess. This bug was located in southern New Jersey near the Pine Barrens. Please note that the mystery bug has been squished a little.

Answer
Hi, Jill:

Wow, I actually *can't* make a concrete identification from the image.  Is it missing its head?  What size are we talking about?  Did it run?  Fly?  Hop?  Was it on a tree trunk, in the grass?  Any additional details would be much appreciated.  I am leaning toward some kind of moth, or perhaps a caddisfly, but I really can't be certain.  I do know the insect is upside down in the image, so that increases the difficulty, too.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton