Entomology (Study of Bugs)/brown smudges on patio ceiling

Question
We recently had a patio addition added on to our home. Shortly after the project was complete we started noticing brown smudges on the cathedral ceiling. Because of the ceilings height I first attempted to spray them off with a hose. It looked like it was removing the smudges, but now i see it did not. They are also on the columns. All of the smudges are are the same side as the columns. They are flat and about the size of an adult thumb print. We have not noticed any insects in or around the patio. The smudges multiply each day and are a real eyesore. My husband said he thinks it has also damaged the new finish on the ceiling. I saw someone post a pic of their problem and it looked just like our ceiling. Someone told them it was moth eggs and there was nothing you could do about them. Someone else mentioned it looked like army worm eggs and she could have her lawn treated in the fall. Any ideas???

Answer
Hi Shelly
Without examining up close I cannot tell you exactly what these smudges are. I doubt very much that the are eggs of any kind or the could be washed off. They do not seem to be of insect origin . They could be a fungus of some kind. Try some kind of fungicidal spray. Could you send me a photo? I am not sure what army worms are

walter  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz