Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What bug is this?

Sept 1 bend OR
Sept 1 bend OR  
Hello Mr. Eaton,
I am currently in Bend Oregon and we found a bug that I have never seen before. We found it by the camp fire on Sept 1 at 9:40pm. It crawled like an ant. About 1 inch and 1/2 long.
I have attached a picture. Please let me know by am very curious.

Thank you for including the image with your question.  I am changing this to a public question because there is no private information contained in your description; plus, many people encounter these insects and are curious as to what they are.

The creature is called a "Jerusalem Cricket," genus Stenopelmatus .  Here is more information:

They are not true crickets, being more closely allied to the "wetas" and "king crickets" of Australia and New Zealand.

Jerusalem crickets are active at night, living in burrows, under rocks, logs, and other shelter by day.  They are omnivores, feeding mostly on dry, dead organic matter, but also on injured insects.

Be careful where you get more information on this insect!  Jerusalem crickets are steeped in folklore, myth, and urban legend, perpetuated at various websites and other media.  They are NOT venomous, NOT pests, and are NOT dangerous in any way.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.