Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What's this bug

What\'s this
What's this  
We live in San Antonio.  Last night my wife caught this in the kitchen.  Our kids are saying hopping spider cricket, camel cricket etc.  But it's not.  It's not a fly, not mosquito, not cricket, nor spider.  Actually it's more like all of them.

Hi Gene!  It's nice to talk to a fellow San Antonian!

This creature is called an Ensign Wasp.  They are named because their abdomens resemble the flags that sailors used to signal each other.

These wasps lay their eggs inside the egg cases of cockroaches and are considered beneficial.  Having them around isn't necessarily a sign that your home is infested with cockroaches, but is a sign that there are some around...especially the large "water bug" cockroaches found outdoors.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.