Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug?

Question
Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  
I am trying to figure out what type of bug this is for a Biology lab. It looks like a beetle, but I can't find what kind of bug it is. It crawls. I'm in North Manchester, IN and this bug was observed on 09/20/14 at 1:45 pm in a dorm room.

Answer
Hi, Elizabeth:

Thank you for including an image with your question.  This is a "Western Conifer Seed Bug," Leptoglossus occidentalis .  Despite the name, this insect is now found coast-to-coast in the northern half of the U.S.

Here's a blog post I wrote about it:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2009/09/indoor-insects-of-autumn-part-1-of-4.html

and another:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2013/03/true-bug-tuesday-exporting-western.html

These are at most a "nuisance pest" that does not affect the health of people or pets, or destroy property or crops.

Have a great school year, Elizabeth :-)

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton