Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bugs in house

Home bug
Home bug  
We just moved into a newly built house that has a soybean field behind it. There have been lots of little bugs flying around the house. They aren't near food, they are more in our living room and bathrooms. Do you know what they could be? Could they be from the soybean field?

Dear Tom - I must admit to being a bit puzzled by this one, as the image appears none too clear to me. Am I looking at the top or bottom of the critter? It looks more like a small fly, such as a vinegar/pomace fly (often erroneously called fruit flies) than anything else, in which case I would expect them to be fore abundant in the kitchen or other sites associated with food preparation. It certainly does not look like any alfalfa insect that I am familiar with. I realize that because of their small size that getting large, sharp images is difficult, but if you could try some more, it might be helpful. If the insects won't stay still, try putting some in the refrigerator for a while before photographing them.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.