Entomology (Study of Bugs)/fly ID help

Question
Spilomyia longicornis?
Spilomyia longicornis?  
Hi Eric,

I may not have made it to the IECC conference this year, but I've had a busy summer of observing many insects in MT. Yesterday I saw and got a photo of this amazing yellow jacket fly mimic. I've tried to ID it and have come up with Spilomyia longicornis. But the information I found indicates MN as the closest part of its range. Do you think my guess is correct? And if so, is this a rare sighting for MT?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Best regards,

Glenn

Answer
Hi, Glenn:

Well, there are apparently eleven species, 4 of which are widespread in the western U.S., so it might be one of those.  Most species look very much like this, so you might have to put the specimen under a microscope to get a species ID.  Meanwhile, this link is to a fairly recent key:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/861827

I clicked on it and got an "untrusted connection," but doing a Google search might have gotten an alternative site.

Anyway, I can certainly confirm the genus ID as correct :-)  Keep up the great work!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton