Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Grasshopper Behavior

Hello Nathan,
Today my son and I were taking a walk and noticed that a grasshopper, the one that looks like a butterfly when flying, had its bottom in the ground and it was pulsating. It reminded me a lot of the "Alien" movies when the queen was laying eggs. Could this be the a similar scenario?
Thank you in advance for your response.

You have posed an interesting question!

Here's why their abdomens pulsate. Insects don't have a heart or circulatory system. The blood just flows through their body cavity and washes over the internal organs. This is accomplished by a sac in their abdomen that is open on both ends that acts like a heart. This "heart" gets pumped by pulsations of the abdomen.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at www.facebook.com/groups/antmans.hill/.

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.