Entomology (Study of Bugs)/what kind of bugs or mites ??

bugs or mites
bugs or mites  
found this in my garden.. and there's hundreds of them..  don't know what it is.. can you help please . thanks

Hi Rolly,

Those are juvenile shield bugs (Acanthosomatidae), sometimes called stink bugs. There are many types of shield bugs, and some are considered to be garden pests. To control them you should clear away any weeds around the garden and then use whatever pest management you prefer. There are a number of bug sprays that should work.

Thanks for the great photo!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior