Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mite Identification

Question
mite
mite  
One of my friends from veterinary school is trying to identify a mite that was found on a skin scraping.  It does not look like the typical dymodex or sarcoptic mange mites, but a cross of the two. Demodex usually do not have legs that protrude forward as shown in the image here.

Here is the information she has provided:

I found this mystery but on a skin scrape from an intensely pruritic dog who likes to swim in ponds. His ventrum and legs were the worst, he was also red around his eyes. I treated him as though it was scabies but what the heck is this weirdo bug?!

Please see the attached photo as this is the best microscopic view she has and I believe she threw the slide away

Answer
Chris:

I'm sorry, but mites are out of my sphere of expertise.  They are not insect, either, of course, in my defense.

You need to find an acarologist (mite expert) to answer this.  You might try Barry O'Connor at the University of Michigan.  Tell him I sent you.  If he does not recognize it, he will likely know someone else who will.  

Best wishes for a forthcoming answer.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton