Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery Black Bug

Question
black bug 1
black bug 1  

black beg 2
black beg 2  
I recently did a deap cleaning of my car after learning a client has beg bugs and found the following bug in the carpet, two dead and one moving.  They were all in different locations with one dead all the way in my cargo area.  The client was not in my car long so I found it odd that bugs would be transferred.  Does this look like a bed bug, I originally thought so but each bug was very dark and black very different from the brownish red color I have seen while researching beg bugs.  Please help.

Answer
Hi, Alena:

Thank you for including the images with your question.  Rest assured these are not bed bugs.

The insect shown is a "carpet beetle" of some kind, probably genus Trogoderma in this case.

All carpet beetles in the family Dermestidae have a similar life cycle.  Adults are not really pests, and some are even pollinators of flowers.  The *larvae* on the other hand....

Larvae of carpet beetles feed on all manner of dried animal products, including but not limited to:  dry pet food, cured meats, taxidermy mounts, wool linens and garments, silks, furs, insect collections (including mine!), even the shed hair and skin flakes of people and pets.  It takes very little to sustain them.

Cleaning your car and keeping it that way is the best way to keep carpet beetles under control (it is virtually impossible to exclude them completely, so even the cleanest of homes and vehicles may occasionally have carpet beetles).

Store all vulnerable foodstuffs, including dry pet food, in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids.  Store woolens, silks, furs and the like in a cedar chest.  Cedar has proven repellent qualities and is non-toxic.  

Forget mothballs (naphthelene is totally ineffective) and moth crystals (paradichlorobenzene is at least a *potential* carcinogen).  Cleanliness and proper storage are your best weapons.

Hope this gives you peace of mind.  I'm glad you are aware of bed bugs, and taking proper precautions to avoid them in your own travels (always inspect your lodging thoroughly before settling in, keep your luggage off the floor).

Take care, thank you for your query.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton