Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Phereoeca Uterella

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your quick response to my first email.  The bug is question is not a stiletto fly, but a Household Casebearer, Phereoeca Uterella (Lepidoptera Tineidae).

The bug is usually found in humid areas, which made me wonder how it ended up in my Southern California home. I know they eat paper, material, etc. which is why I mentioned the paper towels as their way to get inside my home.

Looking forward to your reply,

Hi Robin
 I appears that I mixed up the Plaster bagworm with a fly of the Genus Pherocera. I often get inquires about bagworms especially from Florida. I have not heard of them feeding on paper. The worm feeds on organic materials and usually on spider webs. Adult moths do not eat. Though they are found in damp areas they are cosmopolitan. I cannot answer their presence in California.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ