Entomology (Study of Bugs)/phereoeca uterella

I read that these bugs prefer humid climates. I live very close to the ocean in southern California and wonder how this creature ended up in my home. Is it possible that the large 12 roll package of paper towels from our local Sam's club is providing the free ride?

Hi Robin
This is a stiletto fly. I have never heard of the species however. How it entered your house I do not know. The adults feed on plant materials. Keep in mind that house is just another place to find shelter and not a place where stiletto flies tend to congregate. I do not believe that rolls of paper act as a transport medium for the Diptera

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ