Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Pod found on fence

QUESTION: I would like to know what insect made this

ANSWER: Laurie,

Interesting. I don't recognize this but I'll try to help you figure this out. I assume that the maggots came out of the pod, is this true? How large are the maggots? Was the pod attached to a plant? Post a follow up.

Jack DeAngelis

Pod on fence
Pod on fence  
QUESTION: Thank you for responding. The maggots/yellow worms are small one inch long. Yes, they came out of the pod after I removed it from the fence post

The only large yellow maggot I've been able to find is the pepper maggot. Could the "pod" be a dried up pepper (bell, chile, and so forth)? Do you grow peppers in a garden? Can you get a close-up of just one of the yellow larvae, I want to confirm that it is a maggot (fly larva). This one has me a little stumped.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology