Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spider on home kansas

brown spider kansas
brown spider kansas  
I found this in am images search and it leg me too your blog but it went to the home page instead. .. Can you tell me what kind of spider this is?  My cat found one in my house

Hi, Ashley:

That would be a Broad-faced Sac Spider, Trachelas tranquillus .  Here's the blog post you referenced:

Since I wrote that, the genus Trachelas has been moved into its own family, the Trachelidae.  This is a very recent development.

This spider has been implicated in....inflamatory(?) spider bite episodes, but the purported virulence of its venom has been found to be a severe exaggeration.

So, no worries :-)

Thank you for your question.  Please feel free to follow my blog.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.