Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange long bug in house?

Question
bug
bug  

2nd photo
2nd photo  
I'm sure I've seen carpet beetles around my house but this is different; it's longer, kind of an orangey brown with a darker head. Might have some sort of pincer things at the back end too (don't know much about insects). It does seem to have some tiny speckles. Photos attached. I'd say it's maybe 1cm long when stretched out. Quite a few little legs on the first half of its body but them seem to stop about halfway down.

Answer
Dear Amy - Your 'house guest' appears to be a beetle larva. Although your images are not clear enough for me to be certain, it might be the larva of a scarlet malachite beetle - see http://tinyurl.com/4vfkh6n for an image. If such is the case, you have nothing to worry about, as it is completely harmless - adult beetles may feed on flower-visiting insects and/or pollen, and their larvae are presumably predatory on small immature invertebrates, mainly other insects.
  However, if you believe that your specimen differs significantly from the image provided (remember that most insect species can show considerable individual variation), please try to obtain a clearer close-up image and resubmit on a follow-up question.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad