Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny bug


I found these tiny bugs in my kitchen under the base board water heater.  Today I found a couple in my living room corner where the TV is.  They are usually dead when I discover them.  I live in CT and the heat hasn't been turned on as of yet.  Can you tell me what these are and how to get rid of them? I hope the photo helps.
Thank you very much!

Hi Val
These are spider beetles. They can become serious kitchen pests. You will have to find out where they are coming from. Check all opened dried foods and pet foods. If you see any discard the food. You do not seem to have a lot of them at present. Get a pyrethrum based spray (read the label) and spray where they congregate. Let me know if you see more. Read up on spider beetles>

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Walter Hintz


I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.


I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]