Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tons of tiny bugs

1 of many
1 of many  

I have a bunch of tiny flying black/brown bugs. Every day i dump dead bugs out of my lamp. I dont know where they are coming from. I live in Arizona.

Dear Lolly - I cannot see enough detail in your images to be confident of an identification of these small beetles. The only species resembling yours that I would consider to be of serious concern would be carpet beetles in the genus Attagenus (black carpet beetles and allies). If this were the case, you also should be seeing their larvae. See http://tinyurl.com/3jwyyt9 for images and more detailed information. I suggest that you take some of these to your local office of the University of Arizona's Cooperative Extension Service (see http://tinyurl.com/qxn8ods for links to contact information) to determine whether you have a real problem or just a nuisance pest situation. Extension service offices usually are a good resource when dealing with most home/yard/garden pest problems.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.