Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this?

Question
What in the World?
What in the World?  
Could you please identify this creature? It was taken by a friend that lives in Littlestown, pa which is located in South Central PA below Gettysburg.

Answer
Dear Travis - First off, my apologies for the delay in responding; I thought that I had put myself on 'vacation' for this weekend (I was up at our regional caving field station and just now returned home), but obviously something went awry...
   Anyway, what you have here is the cast 'skin' (exuvium) of the subimago (pre-adult) stage of a mayfly (order Ephemeroptera). Mayflies are the only insects that I am aware of that molt after reaching the winged stage of their life. The vast majority of their lives are spent as aquatic immatures (nymphs/naiads); living only a matter of hours to a few days as adults. See http://tinyurl.com/l2astvy for an image of a subimago before molting and http://tinyurl.com/c9gc2xs for details of the mayfly life cycle.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad