Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Zoology question

Question
Hi, many moons ago I was an agricultural zoology student. I am sure I remember being taught about a worm that goes to the top of a tree and spins around shedding its young, with the name that I remember as 'Wipfeltkranheit'. Obviously my spelling will be ridiculous, but do you know of anything similar, that could cover this, or did I have a very strange dream!! Many thanks, Alison

Answer
Alison:

Thank you for choosing me from all the way over in Ireland!

You were close!  The word above refers to what happens when a Gypsy moth caterpillar is infected with a virus.  The infected caterpillar climbs to the highest point of the tree and dies.  All the while, the caterpillar's insides have been completely liquefied by the virus and those contents are almost nothing but virus particles ready to infect other caterpillars.  Once dead, the caterpillar's body disintegrates and the virus particles rain downward into the tree to infect other caterpillars.

For more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymantria_dispar_multicapsid_nuclear_polyhedrosis_v

Cheers!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs