Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug

Question
Bug
Bug  
We have been seeing these bugs lately, one at a time. We brought about four big plants in from around our pool for the winter. Is this bug coming from those plants maybe? Should we be concerned about them multiplying or causing any damage?
Thanks!

Answer
Rachel,

This is a black vine weevil, a type of root weevil (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/root_wev.html for more pics.). The beetles are harmless and won't multiply inside the house. They can come inside on potted plants but they can also wander into the house through open doors (they don't fly). The larvae feed on the roots of landscape plants and in large numbers can cause damage in these plants. Just sweep up weevils that you find indoors, no need to apply insecticides.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis