Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Red & black bug

Question
I look up red and black flying insects in Florida. A picture came up that looked like the bug I saw. The person said it was a staying cotton.I googled the name and the bug didn't fit the description of the picture I saw. I have seen three in the last two years. The first two times the bug was extremely aggressive towards me could you please tell me what this insect could be & can it sting me?! I've been wanting an answer to this for a long time! I greatly appreciate your help!

Answer
The most common flying red and black insects in the Gulf Coast area are "love bugs".  Here's a link.  If that's not what they are, I need a photo or good sketch, indicating the approximate size of the insect.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-37_lovebugs.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Sue Kayton