Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Can they save themselves

Today my mom (age 88) saw two lady bugs sitting outside on the dining room windowsill and flung them off the windowsill and I want to know can a ladybug save itself by spreading its wings and flying if someone does what my mom did. What she did really upset me.

Hi Debbie
These ladybugs usually in the winter unless they can get into a shelter of some kind  Like most incests have a short life span anyway. Don't be too hard on Mom. At age 88 she has most likely gotten rid of a lot of bugs already. And don't feel bad for the bugs. They are not conscious  beings. I somewhat feel like you do and I never go out of my way to kill a bug but I am a biologist and livinf organisms have a different to me then they do to other people. ( and maybe you)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ