Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Can't find photo of this strange spider

Question
Wish I had a camera but found an interesting red fluorescent spider with legs red black and yellow like a black widows legs but the body was much bigger very aggressive pose.  It was on a greenway trail. Never have seen this coloring. Beautiful.  Any idea what it might be? About 1 1/2 possibly. Larger than many of the large black widows I find around here.

Answer
Hi Michelle,

A large spider that was very colorful and had that widow-like shape... My guess is it was some type of garden spider. Without a photo, I can't help much, but it sounds to me like a garden spider. They look less hairy than other types of spiders. They are harmless and sometimes very pretty.

Did it have dimples on its back? If so, it could also have been a crab spider.

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger