You are here:

Entomology (Study of Bugs)/beetle infestation of home


Infested Chocolate Cheerio
Infested Chocolate Che  
cluster of glued on substance
cluster of glued on su  
QUESTION: Hi.  I'm hoping you can help me.  My apartment building is infested with very tiny beetles.  I would like to know what is what when it comes to the beetle.  For instance,  there are tiny white 'rice like' things on everything.  (They are much smaller than rice). What are they? Eggs?  There is also strange hair everywhere.  They have the little rice in them also.  The tiny beetles are all over.  I wipe the floors every day and there are a lot of them.  Why do a lot of them stick to surfaces?  They don't wipe off.  They are everywhere including our refrigerator. There are also a lot of spots that are clusters of something glued to objects.  It is also in our food.  It makes a waxy substance.  I don't think there is one thing in my house that doesn't have one of these things on it.  It is really bad.  I'd like to send you more pictures.  Is there a way I could do that?
Your help is very much appreciated.


Can you post photos of the beetles and the "rice".

Jack DeAngelis

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

strange hair with \'rice like\' objects
strange hair with 'ric  

bolt less than six months old
bolt less than six mon  
QUESTION: I have identified larder beetles.  Then there are tiny ones that I think are powder post beetles.  Then there are tiny beetles that are round in shape.  The beetles are so tiny that I can't get a clear picture.  Why are there different types of beetles in my home?  Do they attract more beetle types?  Could you please tell me what different things a beetle does and what those stages look like?  I really would love the information.  Thank you.

I'm sorry but I don't know what this material is, I don't see anything that looks like a beetle. I think the best thing to do is to contact the University of Wisconsin-Extension ( There should be a branch office in your county that you can take a sample or photos. The county office will be able to get in contact with folks at the University that can help id the material.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.


20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.


Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 All rights reserved.