Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug found on my bed?!

Earing for size
Earing for size  

I found this crawling on my bed.  When I turned it over it curled up like a pill bug almost then spread out to flip itself over.  In one picture it is next to my earing for sizing.  I don't think it is a bed bug but I'm not sure what it is.  Thank you!!

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the question and the photos. Unfortunately, the photos are too small to see any detail so I cannot give you a confident identification. I know it can be difficult to get a good photo of something so small! However, I suspect you might have carpet beetles.

You can see a photo of a carpet beetle larva here, as well as some good information: http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/10/carpet-beetles-genus-anthrenus.html

Here are some images of bedbugs, but it doesn't look like a bed bug to me from the photos you provided: http://bugguide.net/node/view/15475

Please let me know if it doesn't look like a carpet beetle larva, or if you'd like to send another photo!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior