Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug found in bed but not bed bug

Question
Bug/larvae
Bug/larvae  

Pic 2
Pic 2  
Hi can you please help identity this bug? Found 3 in daughters bed, I tried searching the internet but can't seem to figure out what they are. What to see if this can be a pest and if I need to get rid of the mattress or contact an exterminator. It's very tiny white with black ends, doesn't look like a worm...

Thanks

Answer
Dear Mera - This appears to be a larva of a carpet beetle (Coleoptera: Dermestidae), likely in the genus Anthrenus - see http://tinyurl.com/4c372s4 for an example. These insects are cosmopolitan in distribution, and can occur nearly anywhere (we find the occasional specimen in our home). They can feed on an incredibly wide variety of organic materials (including accumulations of dead insects), so complete control can be a challenge; see http://tinyurl.com/yun78p for a comprehensive publication on carpet beetles and their control.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad