Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Identification

Strange Bug
Strange Bug  

Close up
Close up  
Sitting on my front porch I saw this bug land a thought it was very odd looking and never saw anything like it before
I took a photo and enlarged it and gave it to my granddaughter to bring to her science teacher
His response was that he teaches earth science and to ask her teacher next year when she is in the eigth grade
Not much help
This looks like something from a sci fi movie
Can you help identify

Dear Mike - This is Delphinia picta, a picture-winged fly in the family Ulidiidae; its unusual appearance almost always attracts attention when they are seen. See http://tinyurl.com/o8hmbup for images and some information on its life history.

Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.