Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Butterflies in ultra-cold area

Question
Hello!!

Our teacher once told us a sort of butterfly that lives in Tibetan Plateau. On the outside, the color of this butterfly is white, and it is also a bit furry and hairy on the outside. But the inner part of this butterfly is black. My teacher said that this appearance can help the butterfly preserve warmness. When living in areas like Tibetan Plateau, you need all the warmness that you can get. This teacher is not there anymore. I can not ask him more question. And i try to find this sort of butterfly on the internet, but without some more correct keywords and names, i can not find it.

Do you know what kind of butterfly this may be? Thank you.

Johnnie.

Answer
Dear Johnnie - I do not believe that you have sufficient information to track down a particular species. That aside, the combination of a hairy body and a black/dark cuticle would appear to be a fairly good strategy for solar heat absorption and retention. See http://tinyurl.com/pvg9rxt for details on cold-adaptation strategies among insects in general.
Hope this helps,
SAugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad