Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider Identification

Tiffany wrote at 2015-11-10 08:37:00
This spider is an orb-weaver; brown widows, like black widows in my observations, spin messy but strong webs in areas below the knees and are without observable body hair. These orangy-colored spiders in your picture spin traditional webs way above the knees and grow even bigger than widows, especially their abdomens, with spiky hairs protruding from their legs unlike widows. I can put money on the fact that you will never see them inside your home. Please allow them to trap pests outside your home for you. Tap its butt with a twig and it will "freak" into a position as if it is going to pounce, then it will retrieve up to its hiding spot. Do this again the next evening and it will not produce the same reaction as it will recognize you and the action.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior