Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identification

Question
unknown
unknown  

unknown
unknown  
I've submitted this photo to several websites inquiring about what it is, caterpillar, wasp or other such insect. I found in in Shediac Cape, New Brunswick. I am always walking the woods foraging and I was flabbergasted by this beauty. I took the oicture on September 24, 2015. I've not encountered it before and am coming up empty in all my research.

Your help will greatly appreciated!

Laura Berry

Answer
Hi, Laura Berry:

Thank you for including the wonderful images with your question.  I would have been intensely curious myself.

In fact, I only recognized this as a sawfly larva, rather than a caterpillar, but was clueless as to what species.  After a bit of research, looks like it is the larva of the Dogwood Sawfly:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/68065

Sawfly larvae look and behave much like caterpillars of butterflies and moths.  The only sure-fire way to separate them is by counting the prolegs (those knob-like projections along the length of the abdomen than act like little suction cups).  Butterfly and moth caterpillars have at most five (5) pairs of prolegs.  Sawfly larvae have seven (7) pairs.

Thanks again for your question!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton