Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider Identification

Spider ID
Spider ID  

Spider ID
Spider ID  
Hello, recently there have been large and baby spiders crawling around my home, mainly at night. I live in southwest Virginia and I know we can get wolf spiders, but some brown recluse have been supposedly identified around the county. (Some from so called personal experience of being bitten by one) I do not want to jump to conclusions. After exhausting myself on google images, I'd love to have an answer from an expert! Here is a zoomed in photo of the baby spider. It's brown with thin legs.

Can you tell me how large this spider is? Also, can you get a picture that shows the area just behind the "head" more clearly? Try using an ordinary flashlight to light the photo better. Here's a drawing of a brown recluse spider for comparison http://www.livingwithbugs.com/brown_recluse_spiders.html that you can use.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology