Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Still have problem



I wrote to you before about the possible bird mite issue at our office which in turn has spread to home. I know for a fact this is not delusional parasitosis because I keep finding these bugs. I feel crawling or biting and look with magnifier and see a small black speck or sometimes white.  Always at the area of the sensation. Some are visible with naked eye. Some require magnification. This one in particular I found in the bed skirt. The situation is much improved at home but still terrible for all of us at the office. Does this picture look like a bird mite or what kind of bug?


These don't look like bird mites, plus bird mites don't infest homes or offices (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bird_mites.html for a picture of these mites). In fact I'm not at all sure this is an insect or a mite. I'd suggest collecting a few in alcohol (use a damp Q-tip) and ask the local Cooperative Extension folks to examine them under a microscope.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.


20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.