Entomology (Study of Bugs)/unidentified spider

Question
Mystery red body
Mystery red body  
I ran into this spider in San Leandro, Northern California. The body was about an inch long. The body was definitely brown, not black. I saw it in a suburban neighborhood on October 25, around 11AM. It walked slowly alongside me, did not jump when I put me camera right in front of it. Can you identify the photo for me?
Thanks

Answer
Hi, Debbie:

Thanks for including the nice image with your question.

The spider is an orbweaver in the genus Araneus , and probably Araneus andrewsi .  Here's more about it:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/72653

Note that this is a highly variable species in color and pattern.

Thank you again for sharing your discovery!  Have a great evening.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton